Waterproof jackets should never be washed using ordinary detergent or fabric softener. The chemicals in detergent can break down the composition of the fibres with each wash and strip the fabric of its waterproof coating. A cleaner specifically designed for technical outerwear is recommended.
If you need to reproof your waterproof clothing as well as washing, Mountain Warehouse Wash n Proof is for you.
Washing Waterproof Clothing Steps:
- Before washing, brush off any loose mud or dirt. Close any zips and flaps on jackets and trousers.
- Ensure the detergent compartment of your machine is clean of any detergent. (You may also wish to run your washing machine on a hot wash with nothing in it to clear any residues from detergent or softeners).
- Pour the cleaner into the detergent compartment. For the Wash n’ Proof this will be two 50ml capfuls per garment.
- Place your waterproof garments in the drum. Do not wash your waterproof jacket or clothing with other items or more than two garments at a time.
- Run through the complete wash and rinse cycle at 30 degrees. Remember to always check the label of your garment for exact care details.
- Garments can be left to air dry or be tumble dried. Garments should only be tumble dried on a low or medium heat if care instructions allow.
If you notice that the fabric of your jacket or trousers is absorbing rather than repelling water, you may also need to reproof your garment. You do not need to reproof each time you wash but it is recommended to reproof when necessary. To Reproof your waterproof jacket check out our waterproof jacket reproofing guide.
If you’ve washed your jacket and it’s still looking tired it may be time to replace it. Check out our range of waterproofs at the links below: