Filtered by:
Inside The Outdoors
ENGLISH TOURISM WEEK

ENGLISH TOURISM WEEK

19.03.2018 | Staff Stories

This week is English Tourism Week, supported by Visit Britain. This is an annual celebration of English tourism and a chance to showcase the great experiences we have to offer in this country. As part of our own celebration, we have asked five of our HQ staff about their favourite place in England.

Charis, PR and Community Assistant

Wollaton Hall 

Photo by www.wollatonhall.org
My favourite place is Wollaton Hall, located 3 miles west of Nottingham city centre, I often pop in after a day of shopping to get some fresh air or grab a coffee in the courtyard café. Wollaton Hall is situated on 3 acres of tranquil grounds, home to around 200 deer. I love visiting Wollaton Hall as there is always something going on. On a rainy day, we will venture into the hall and stroll around Nottingham’s very own Natural History Museum. The preserved African giraffe is always a favourite with the children! On a sunny day I like to stroll around the grounds and spot the deer as they hide out around the woods or by the lake. After the walk, I normally have a picnic and camp out for the rest of the day in the botanical gardens.
Summer at Wollaton Hall is the best! This is not only my favourite time to visit but there is also a large array of events that take place during the summer months. This summer there will be an outdoor theatre showing a selection of Shakespeare’s plays, not forgetting the annual music festival, Splendour.

More information about Wollaton Hall, can be found here – www.wollatonhall.org

Austin, Brand and Retail Marketing Assistant

Ivinghoe Beacon

Photo by www.nationaltrust.org

One of my favourite places to visit in the UK is Ivinghoe Beacon, the highest point of the Chiltern Hills area of outstanding beauty, and the trail head for the ridgeway long distance trail. I spend many days there walking with my dog Winston. It is located near the village of Ivinghoe as well as Ashridge Estate. In the spring, it is stunning. The beacon offers sweeping views of Buckinghamshire and Hertfordshire. My favourite walk starts in the village of Ivinghoe, climbing up to the beacon, and following the ridge into Ashridge Estate. Ashridge estate provides beautiful woodland, and during the first week of spring is covered in sprouting bluebells. I still remember the first time I walked through the estate when the bluebells blanketed the woodland floor; my jaw dropped at the vibrancy of the colours. The Blue of the bluebells and the green of the foliage were so prevalent that it felt I was walking through a tunnel of colour! It is such a pleasant, leisurely walk that immerses you in the simple beauty that the British countryside has to offer.

More information about the Chilterns, can be found here – www.chilternsaonb.org 

Emily, Online and Direct Marketing Assistant

Chichester

Photo by Instagram @chichesteronline

One of my all-time favourite places in England is Chichester. The city centre is not only home to the impressive Chichester Cathedral, but is also full of independent cafes, restaurants and parks. Another reason Chichester is one of my favourites places, is the numerous remains of Roman villas and mosaics. Just ten minutes’ drive from the city centre and you end up at West Wittering beach, arguably one of best beaches in England. It has large yellow sand dunes, lovely clear water and even an ‘ice cream’ boat stopping off to sell ice creams every now and again in summer. Ten minutes in the opposite direction, and you will end up on the South downs, a huge landscape of rolling hills, with incredible views spanning from Brighton to Portsmouth. Not to mention Chichester is one of the warmest places in England!

More information about Chichester, can be found here – www.visitchichester.org 

Mark, Graphic Designer and Videographer

Western Heights, Dover 

Photo by www.english-heritage.org.uk

My favourite place to go in England is to Western Heights, Dover. It’s one of the finest Napoleonic forts still in existence and has stood the test of time. Having been adapted for both world wars this place oozes history. The main features are two drop redoubt forts, the grand shaft and big gun batteries on the cliff tops facing France. A good place to go whether it’s rain or shine, the kids and the dog both really enjoy this place and there is plenty of exploring to be done in the various caves, tunnels and secret passages both in and outside of the forts. On a clear day you can see right across the English Channel to France. I must have been here on at least 50 different occasions and I still can’t say I have explored the entire place. The parking is free and there are no entrance fees, so you are left to explore at your own pace.

More information about the Western Heights, can be found here www.english-heritage.org.uk

Harriet, PR and Community Manager 

Dovedale

Photo by  www.visitpeakdistrict.com

As a Londoner, I love the hustle and bustle of the city but like many I do also crave time outside of the capital. Taking time out and slowing down for a few days soothes my soul, and if there’s one place I want to be heading for a little respite it’s the Peak District. Surrounded by wildlife and breath-taking views, it’s the south of the Peaks I love the most and in particular, Dovedale. A valley in the Peak District, Dovedale feels like a secret haven cut off from the rest of the world, and spring time is my favourite. When the sun is shining and the temperature is creeping in to double figures, you can enjoy a picnic by the river and take pictures with family and friends along the famous stepping stones. The more adventurous might give Thorpe Cloud a climb, but I enjoy the calm and serene atmosphere in the valley and love to stroll along the river, taking in the scenery.

More information about Dovedale, can be found here www.nationaltrust.org.uk 

To find out more about English Tourism Week, have a look at the official website – https://www.visitbritain.org/english-tourism-week