Dubbin or Dubbing wax is designed to maximise the water repellent properties of boots or shoes. Dubbin will protect against dirt and stains and will keep the leather supple. Dubbing wax shouldn’t be used on suede or nubuck leather due to its oily formula but is ideal for rejuvenating waxy leathers exposed to outdoor wear.
This guide will show you how to improve the look and feel of your boots or shoes using the Mountain Warehouse Dubbin Wax.
1. Ensure your leather boots or shoes are clean before applying dubbin, using a footwear brush if required. If you’re unsure how to clean your boots properly, check out our guide to cleaning walking boots.
2. Use a hair dryer to gently heat the boots up, this will help the wax penetrate the leather. Be careful not to hold the hair dryer too close to the boots, or keep it in one place as overheating can cause the boots to dry out and crack. Similarly, don’t leave your boots near a radiator or open fire as this could also have the effect of drying out the leather. If the wax is too hard to rub in, carefully warm it up with a hair dryer.
3. Apply a small amount of dubbin to a cloth and rub evenly over leather. Dubbing wax will leave a slightly oily film on leather (important for repelling water and dirt) and as such should be applied sparingly.
4. Repeat as many times as necessary, ensuring wax is spread evenly and sparingly each time.
5. Leave for 30 – 60mins.
6. Buff off with a dry cloth.
7. Polish can be applied if required.
Check out the Mountain Warehouse range of Clothing and Footwear Care Products to help rejuvenate your boots or shoes.
If you’ve cleaned and polished your boots and they’re still looking tired, take a look at our walking boots range.